ISO 14001 is a standard that sets out the requirements for an environmental management system. It helps organizations improve their environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduction of waste, gaining a competitive advantage and the trust of stakeholders.
It’s right if you and your organization want to demonstrate your commitment to reducing the environmental impact of your activities and achieve the associated financial and stakeholder benefits. Nearly any business can benefit from achieving certification to ISO 14001 standards. The certification is broad enough to offer significant benefits to organizations in any industry or sector, while still providing a specific framework for implementing relevant sustainable practices.
There are many reasons why an organization should take a strategic approach to improving its environmental performance. Users of the standard have reported that ISO 14001 helps:
• Demonstrate compliance with current and future statutory and regulatory requirements
• Increase leadership involvement and engagement of employees
• Improve company reputation and the confidence of stakeholders through strategic communication
• Achieve strategic business aims by incorporating environmental issues into business management
• Provide a competitive and financial advantage through improved efficiencies and reduced costs
• Encourage better environmental performance of suppliers by integrating them into the organization’s business systems